Our resort is located below one of the most beautiful and famous sites in Germany, and a visit there is a must!
Work on the castle started in 1869 for King Ludwig II of Bavaria and the design was based on an idealised vision of a mediaeval knight’s castle. King Ludwig II actually only lived in the castle for a few months, as he died before construction was completed.
Originally known as New Neuschwanstein Castle, the castle has used its current name of Neuschwanstein since 1886. Today, the Free State of Bavaria is the owner of the castle, and it is managed by the Bavarian Administration of State-Owned Palaces, Gardens and Lakes.
Neuschwanstein Castle, often also known as the “Fairytale Castle”, welcomes around 1.5 million tourists annually and is open for tours almost all year round.
Together with Linderhof and Herrenchiemsee, Neuschwanstein is one of the “Ludwig Castles” and attempts are currently being made to have it declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Please note that Neuschwanstein Castle can only be viewed as part of a guided tour.
The tours take around 35 minutes and are available every day between 10 am and 6 pm (winter opening time) or from 9 am to 6 pm (summer opening time).
Tickets are only available from the Ticket Center in Hohenschwangau and can only be purchased on the day of your visit (two minutes walk from our resort). Please note that capacity is limited.
Neuschwanstein Castle is closed on 24, 25 and 31 December and 1 January.
For further information go to